Saturday, October 29, 2016

On Why Coffee Makes Me Happy

Coffee is happiness in its purest form. I know that every time I feel blue I pour myself a cup of coffee and the world seems to slip away. I don’t know what it is. The boost from the caffeine is nice, but I don’t think it’s the only draw. I think that it has more to do with the distraction of being able to be by myself for a few minutes, enjoying my coffee and putting less focus on the worries of my life. Everyone who’s reading this article is probably saying “It’s just coffee. What’s the big deal?” I’m not expecting everyone to understand why I feel the way I do.

I am pretty sure I am not alone here. If I was, the coffee industry would not be a multibillion dollar behemoth that grows larger with each passing year. I appreciate entities like Starbucks for bringing even the most casual of coffee drinkers into the fold. Their efforts, while controversial to most in the smaller coffee sector, have made it so more people are exposed to what we all love. The more people who are on board with coffee, the more people who will become coffee lovers for life.

From time to time, I debate quitting coffee once and for all, whether it’s something I’m personally feeling or the result of pressure from those closest to me. I crunch the numbers and determine the pros and cons of maintaining my habit. The result is something that never changes. I always figure out that my current levels of consumption might be problematic, but they’re sustainable as long as I keep them from going up. I also take into consideration the way coffee is making me feel. More often than not, it makes me feel better than I would have if I weren’t drinking it.


The fact that I love coffee is surprising to no one. After all, you’re reading a coffee blog that’s entirely written by me. It takes me back to a time when things were much simpler and I was in a place where I felt happy. I was exposed to it in an environment that made me feel comfortable and relaxed. My introduction to coffee had little to do with the caffeine part of it and more to do with how coffee brings people together. And that’s the approach I take in writing this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment