Friday, October 28, 2016

On Timeliness and Collaboration

I am one of those people who believes that it’s better to do something late than not do it at all. Now, I don't prefer being late, but if something happens and I’m rendered incapable of doing whatever needs to be done on time, I always try to fulfill my obligations later on. I feel like I have reached a point in my life where I’m meeting or exceeding my obligations more than I’m falling short of them. It took a long time. Currently, I am going back through all the things I’ve missed in the hopes I will catch up, thus relieving my conscience in the process.

Writing is something that not everyone can do. Sure, any person can put words down on the page. Nearly all of us send countless emails or texts every day, but very few of us could be called writers. I am not about to say that I am the best writer in the world. Many times when I publish something I feel like I’m talking to myself. I like it when people decide they want to read my content. I will write the same way I do now even if I get a sizeable audience in the future. I like the way I write and I will never compromise it for any reason.

Bloggers get lumped in together too often. If one person writes about coffee, they’re compared to every other coffee writer. That’s not fair. I respect the other people who write about coffee. I don't dwell on the opinions of others. I know that my intentions remain good and that should make all the difference.

As someone who has been in the writing world for a long time, I have a lot of stories about the brutality I’ve encountered. Writing is a territorial game and writers will do whatever it takes to get their piece of the pie. I get it to an extent. You have to do what you have to do to get by; however, I feel like it’s unfair to discount someone who’s trying to do what they love. Collaboration has a way of making something creative even better, yet so many creative people are against collaboration in all its forms. People love to drink coffee together. Wouldn’t it make sense for them to write about coffee together?


I have reached out to all the places I’ve found that publish coffee. Apparently, based on the conversations I’ve been having with coffee companies across the country, there are so many other people doing what I’m doing. I have yet to find them. Time for that to change. Don’t be surprised if you see me pop up on various coffee related websites throughout the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment