Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Starbucks - Dissecting the Coffee Behemoth

Throughout all the work I’ve done researching little coffee, I have heard nothing but bad things about Starbucks. In the coffee world, Starbucks is seen as the symbol of evil. A lot of people see it as the reason why they have not obtained the level of success they deserve. I, for one, wholeheartedly disagree with this sentiment.

Starbucks is more successful than any other coffee chain in the United States and it’s not even close. They are the standard by which every other coffee company is measured. Rather than try to measure up to their success, people want to poke at it and call them evil. I don’t think they’re evil in the slightest.

I've heard the term “McDonaldization” being used in reference to the impact Starbucks has on coffee. This word is thrown around when someone thinks that a company has cheapened a product to the point where it’s acceptable to a massive customer base. You can’t reasonably use this term to describe Starbucks. Although their product is mass produced, it still maintains a reasonably high level of quality.

I’m all for little coffee and I will never stop writing about it. My defense of Starbucks is not a sign that I’m turning my back on little coffee. It’s merely me commenting on something I’ve come across on a number of occasions. I have both good and bad feelings about the coffee colossus. The presence of any criticism in this article is more me looking at things honestly rather than me trying to be vindictive in my critique.  

I’ll admit that I go to Starbucks from time to time. I order the same thing. I don’t venture outside of this item because a lot of their other menu items are extremely sugary. I go to a coffee place to have coffee, not a milkshake. However, these drinks introduce people to coffee who might not have otherwise picked up a cup of it.

I definitely feel like little coffee places put more care into their product. They also train their representatives to give their customers an enjoyable experience. Starbucks falls short in both of these regards. Instead of shoring up gaps in customer service, Starbucks seems to remain blissfully unaware of any complaints made against them.

It all comes down to the attitude of the person who’s making your coffee. If they are personally invested in what they’re doing, they will give it an extra touch to ensure that the customer loves it. Someone who’s making minimum wage will devote the smallest possible amount of effort possible to produce a satisfactory product. There are exceptions to this generality, but you have to pay attention to the motivation level of the person who’s serving you.

I will be the first to say that Starbucks needs to be more supportive of little coffee. All of the negative attention they receive would go away if they threw their support behind a single smaller coffee company. Competition is the name of the game in the business world. The idea of a big company supporting little ones might seem absurd and that alone is ridiculous.

You have to consider all the little coffee companies out there though. Take the number of companies and multiply it by the potential varieties of coffee. Who knows, maybe Starbucks will find a coffee blend that's different from anything they have ever carried. The possibilities for partnerships would be endless in this kind of arrangement.

Being faced with a juggernaut like Starbucks should not be seen as a reason for throwing your hands up in disgust. You should try to engage them and send any sort of proposal their way. As with propositioning any company, you run the risk of being rejected. You will never know what Starbucks will say until you talk to them though.

Saying that you hate Starbucks just because they’re Starbucks is a shortsighted perspective. The role that they play in the coffee industry is clear. They’re not a competition suppressor in the same way that Walmart is. There’s still room for so many other shops to rise to the top of the pile.


Little coffee, before you skewer me for this article, I ask that you please refrain. My other content clearly shows that I’m in your corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment